Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Nate's Eye Update

Nate had a visit with his Retina Specialist last Friday. Here's how it went down.

First, I'll start with a brief history.

Last Spring Nate's vision was testing 20/100 and the Retina Specialist, Dr. H, recommended cataract surgery. The ophthalmologist, Dr. P, was able to improve his acuity to 20/70 with new glasses and suggested holding off on surgery, so we waited.

Nate has had his glasses changed again since the original improvement and continues to test about 20/70. At our last visit with Dr. P he told us there had been considerable change in the cataracts over the last year. Additionally his lenses were beginning to detach (slip out of their frame work, just like Gray's). He recommended surgery this summer.

Based on the history Kenny and I expected to schedule the first surgery before leaving Dr. H's office, as Dr. H will preform the surgery.

After Dr. H examined Nate's eyes and noted the increased vision it was his opinion that we should continue to wait. Dr. H will call Dr. P in the next week or so to discuss Nate's vision and hopes to talk Dr. P out of the surgery.

We're thankful that with increased correction Nate's vision has remained fairly stable, but the recommendation to continue waiting for surgery really threw Kenny and I for a loop. We have mentally prepared for the surgery. We've been talking to Nate and trying to get him prepared for the surgery. We know that the surgery comes with risks. We also know that the question isn't if he'll need surgery, but when. We know that the surgery will make a significant improvement in his quality of life. Nate is starting to complain about not being able to see things well. Before I only had children who couldn't see well and didn't know what it was like to have a child with normal vision. It's nice to point at something and have Gray find it easily. That's just not something Nate is able to do. We're afraid the low vision will start to impede Nate's school work very soon. We're at a point where we want to get it over with.

We have an appointment with Dr. P next week. Hopefully Dr. H will have had a chance to talk to Dr. P before the appointment. I am thankful that they are willing to work together, even though they are separated by hundreds of miles. I know that they both have Nate's best interest at heart. I pray that they can come to agreement on a treatment plan that is best for Nate. Mostly I pray that for patience, peace, and understanding on this roller coaster of parenthood.

1 comments:

Christy said...

I know I take our family's eyesight for granted. I'm praying for Nate and guidance for you guys!