Sunday, August 23, 2009

Countdown to the Big Day

Wow, where has the last 5 years and 9 months gone? We've spent the last month, and particularly last week, getting ready for (sob, sob) Kindergarten. I've been meaning to get this post written, but haven't really felt like crying. I can't wait any longer so here goes.

We got his school shopping done a couple of weeks ago. He picked a few polo shirts and a bunch of sports and cartoon character shirts. His favorite is his new Super Mario Brothers shirt. He also picked out a Mario Kart lunchbox and Mario Baseball backpack. The boy likes the Mario Bros.

We had big plans on Thursday and Friday. Thursday was the teacher parade and meet the teacher night at his elementary school. Friday was our special fun day for him.

This is Nate preparing for the meet the teacher parade. We made a sign to hold up so his teacher would see him. It was really cute. In this picture he is writing his cafeteria PIN on the poster. He's really proud that he knows it.



Here he is holding his sign before the parade.



These are some of the Kindergarten teachers. Mrs. Sylvester is the first one on the left.


This is Nate and Reagan. We met her at the parade. She is also in Mrs. Sylvester's class.

The parade was really cute. I think the kids had a good time. Thank goodness it was bright and I was wearing sunglasses, because I started to tear up.

Nate went into the office with me after the parade. I have two computers in my office, so he was able to play while I worked. He was really good and very few people knew he was there. Unfortunately the head of my department (my boss's boss's boss) picked that day to pass out cupcakes. I wasn't really thrilled to have senior management know I brought Nate to work. Oh well, it doesn't happen often and if anything gets said, I needed to be in the office to get my work done. It wasn't work from home kind of stuff.

We left early so we could be at Meet the Teacher right at 4:30. OH MY GOODNESS!!! That school was a mad house. There were people every where. Mrs. Sylvester seemed really nice. I signed up for Teacher Appreciation, Room Mother, and PTA. I hope I didn't jump in over my head.

Kenny and I took off work on Friday for our fun day with Nate. We had planned to ride the DART train, get off in the tunnel (City Place), then see G Force. We had several other errands we needed to do and didn't think we could do it all and ride the train. Nate was OK with skipping the train, so we changed the plans a little.

First we dropped off my car to get the oil changed. Then we got Nate's hair cut. This was his first hair cut at the barber shop instead of the kid's place. It went quite well.

We ran some errands and then let Nate pick lunch. He picked Mimi's and I obliged even though I've had a couple of bad experiences. I do usually love they're food and it was good on Friday.

After lunch we picked up Nate's new sports goggles, which are quite awesome. You'll see some pics when I get a football post done.

Nate change his mind about the movie. He decided he wanted us to see Ice Age 3-D, Dawn of the Dinosaurs. He had already seen it once and really wanted Kenny and I to see it. We tried to convince him to stick with G Force, but he really wanted to go to Ice Age. Since it was his day, that's what we did. It was interesting, he kept telling us what was going to happen.

We finished up the rest of the weekend with football and birthday parties.

I think we have him prepared for tomorrow. His clothes are laid out, his lunch is partially packed, and his breakfast is ready for him in the morning (he just has to add milk). We've talked about lunch and buying milk. He's a little nervous about not knowing where to go. We've tried to assure him that Mrs. Sylvester will always be there to help, but I'm not sure he believes us yet.

Tomorrow will definitely be interesting. I'm excited and sad because my sweet baby boy is growing too fast.

I made it this far without crying, so I'm going to stop now. Stay tuned for pictures from his first day of school.

0 comments: