Sunday, August 30, 2009

Barnicles 8/30/09

What a crazy week! I'm glad its over.

Nate's first week of Kindergarten was a roller coaster. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday went well. He lost cards on the discipline chart on Tuesday and Thursday. He didn't get in trouble for anything terribly bad, just little things like:

  • Leaving the classroom to go to the bathroom without asking
  • Not putting away his art work when he was told to
  • Talking in class
  • Not following instructions

At the end of the day he can't remember what he got in trouble for, so I am constantly emailing his teacher. I think I'm going to get to know Mrs. Sylvester pretty well.

He is enjoying school. He seems to be making friends and learning to fend for himself. We're hoping his behavior improves this week.

Saturday was his first regular season football game. Unfortunately it didn't go so well. The Eagles lost to the Panthers 16 to 2. The Panther's got two touchdowns and a safety in the first five minutes of the game (They missed their extra points and got another safety later in the game). That made it hard for the boys. After the boys got into the game they did pretty well. We had several plays that were almost TDs. The worst part was that we had 12 plays around the 3 yard line. Unfortunately the 5 yards before the goal are a passing zone. The few passes that were completed were for a loss. The Panther's kept getting penalties so the Eagles just couldn't get out of the passing zone. It was painful. I was quite relieved that they finally turned the ball over on downs.

The Panthers are a very physical team and Kenny got a little worked up in the game. His attitude was warranted. He almost got kicked out of the game, but he was trying to save a kid (that was 30 yards away from the play) from getting waylaid by a Panther. The refs were watching the play and had no idea what was going on at the other end of the field. Kenny saw that a Panther was fixing to hit Garret from behind so he ran out on the field yelling at the the kid. The rules are pretty strict about a coach not yelling at a kid from the other team. Kenny saw that his kid was fixing to get hurt and didn't know what else to do. After the game Kenny talked to one of the refs and explained the situation. The ref understood where Kenny was coming from, unfortunately it wasn't obvious in the game.

I don't think we'll have a highlights film this week. Another set of parents are in charge of taking pictures, so I'll have to get with them to get some pictures to post.

I'm glad we've finished our game with the Panthers. We won't have to deal with them again, unless we meet them in the playoffs. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Auntie Shana, Uncle Vince, Becky, Cooper, and Ryan came to watch the game. The boys ended up going back to Grandview with them so Kenny and I could go to a party.

Kenny and I had a great time at the party. We haven't gone to an adult only party in quite a while. We got to meet some Frisco Rough Rider players at the party. They were cracking us up. Apparently "Saved by the Bell" is the show to watch if you're on the team. It was really funny to listen to them talk about the reruns considering Melissa (the football team mom), Kenny, and I watched the episodes on their first run. We didn't get home until 2:00 am and that is so far past my bed time.

Kenny and I managed to get up and get ready for Sunday School and church. It was nice to listen without the interruption of the kids. Our Pastor's wife commented that we did seem much more relaxed this Sunday.

We have another exciting week in front of us.

I recently changed managers to a guy that is based in San Diego. He's coming to our office on Monday, so it will be my first time to really meet him. I hope it goes well.

Kenny will be continuing his training class. I'm so ready for him to get out of there. I don't like not being able to talk to him during the middle of the day.

Gray has an appointment with Dr. Rembecki, his pulmonologist, on Tuesday. He seems to be doing well, so we're hoping to begin phasing out his nebulizer treatment.

Both boys have dentist appointments on Thursday. We love our pediatric dentist, so those should be easy peasy.

Nate doesn't have a football game next Saturday (Labor Day Weekend), so they'll have two practices this week.

We have some plans to see the "big Eagles" this week. The Allen High team is having "Meet the Eagle" night on Wednesday that we're going to take Nate to. I think we're going to their football game on Thursday as well. They're playing a team from Mexico City.

On Friday we'll be heading to Grandview to see some more high school football and hang out for the holiday weekend.

Man we're going to be busy. I better get to bed!

0 comments: