Here we go again! As I reported a few weeks ago, the retina specialist says its time for Nate's cataracts to be removed. We visited with the ophthalmologist this morning and he said he didn't think they should be removed just yet. Now Kenny and I get to walk that very thin rope of asking questions to make the most informed decision without making a doctor mad.
One thing that has changed since our visit with the retina specialist is that Nate got new, stronger glasses. Today his vision tested 20/60, which is a good improvement from the 20/100 he tested back in early and mid March. The ophthalmologist thought this improvement might sway the retina specialist's mind.
We also discussed interocular lens implants (IOLs). Generally, in children over 1 to 2 years old, IOLs are implanted after cataract surgery. The retina specialist didn't discuss them with us and we're not sure if he is planning to use them or not. After talking with the ophthalmologist Kenny and I think we want Nate to get them. Without the implants Nate would have glasses similar in thickness to Gray's and I think that would be difficult for him. Additionally, you can't get Transitions (the coating that darkens when exposed to UV light) on glasses as thick as Gray's. This is one of the areas we have questions about for the retina specialist.
The third issue is something that we ran into with Gray as well. Is it really necessary for a retinal specialist to do the surgery when a pediatric ophthalmologist would normally do it? Is there something in the history that increases Nate's risk for retina issues? This seems to be a recurring question in our experience with pediatric ophthalmologists. With Gray the retina specialist said absolutely there is concern for his retinas based on family history. Unfortunately we are missing this piece of the story to share with the ophthalmologist. Will Kenny and I be able to understand the answer? Probably not. But maybe if we hear it we can learn enough to regurgitate it and the ophthalmologist would understand.
Please keep us in your prayers as we start this adventure again!
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Decisions
Posted by
The Barnes Family
at
9:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Everyone keeps telling me the same thing about the talking, once they start--they never stop, so I guess I will just be patient! Good luck w/ all your decisions about the surgeries-sounds very confusing but I'm sure the doctors will lead you in the right way-Have a good Easter!-Mandy
Post a Comment