Sunday, June 27, 2010

Barnicles 6/27

Nate spent the last week at the Circle J Ranch. That was the theme for our church's VBS this summer. Can you guess what the J stands for? Ranches seemed to be all the rage in VBSes this year, as I've seen several other churches using similar themes.

Nate had a great time. He even wanted to skip his Kid's Club field trip on Wednesday to go to VBS. Unfortunately Kenny and I couldn't make that work because of work, so he had to miss Wednesday. Mrs. Smith was nice enough to package the craft for him so he could do it at home.

The kids were invited to wear western wear on Friday. How is it that my child has no western wear?


For the record, the only things I suggested he wear were the shorts, shirt, and vest (I Grandmommy and I worked hard on that when he was Woody for Halloween...three years ago). The hat, necklace, and spurs came from VBS, so naturally he had to wear them. He insisted on the camo rubber boots and bandanna. In fact, I couldn't find a bandanna and that upset him, so I used a piece of scrap fabric.

All of the kids preformed their songs on Friday. Nate did a pretty good job singing most of them.


Nate was very excited that he got to play a hand chime, just like Mom. He had to show it to me before they started their performance.

He was really into it.

We're not really soccer fans, but the USA was playing so we were obligated to watch. Here's proof that Gray will watch any sport.


We've been watching a lot of baseball and Kenny and I have been playing softball (We're on a two game win streak, by the way). Of course Gray wants to play. At our game this week he wanted to wear a glove very badly. Unfortunately only right handed gloves were available. The poor kid was walking around with a glove on the wrong hand and backwards. I've looked around a little up here for a left handed glove, but most places seem to have cut back on their baseball stock for the summer. My friend Tanya happened to find one in Houston today and she'll bring it to me next weekend (she was coming up before she bought the glove.)

Yes, that is a carrot bat. It came from the Easter bunny.


And yes, we let him play ball in the house. That will probably have to stop one day.

Hey, that's not a tee (or a baseball, not that it matters).

It turns out that we have one of those vuvuzela horns. We got it at a football game in the fall. Gray tried to use it several ways before he got it right, kinda.



Actually, both boys just yell into it. It's not quite as annoying as the constant buzzing during the soccer game.

We kicked off fall football with the league parents meeting on Saturday. Nate's team will practice once a week for July, then step it up for August. Wordless Wednesday will probably revolve around the meet-n-greet Kenny has planned for the team on Tuesday.

I taught Nate's Sunday School class today and got a first hand taste of him in a classroom. He really knows his bible stories thanks to some Bible Heroes CDs that Granny Debbie bought him. He doesn't let anyone else answer a question. I had to cover his mouth so the other kids could talk. I hope the kids enjoyed the class, 'cause I'll be teaching them again next weekend.

After church we went to a pool party for a friends first birthday. The boys had a great time. Have I mentioned that Gray has no fear of the water? Last weekend he started belly-flopping into the pool at Grandmommy and Granddaddy's. He was jumping off the side of the pool at the Lawhon's today. He doesn't come up sputtering, so he must be holding his breath. Now we just have to get the kicking and scooping going so he can really swim.

0 comments: