Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Please Advice.

Yes, I know that's poor grammar, but you would be surprised by the number of accountants who don't. We get a ton of emails with that "sentence" in them. Anyway, I need some advice.

Have you ever sat by Gray as he ate? He makes a humming/moaning/mmmmmm sound. He started it when he started solid food. We think it's cute and have no problems with it.

Today I got this not from his new teacher:

"Grayson is doing well in here! Following directions and staying with the group and playing well. :)

Please work on helping him eat without humming/singing/making noise. We try to discourage that here as some friends will neglect eating in favor of making noise."

At first I was mad because, like I said, I like that sound. I figure he'll outgrow it soon anyway. I really want to make the "baby" things last.

Then Kenny compared it to the kid who got kicked out of school because of his haircut. The rules are the rules and Gray should follow them.

So I guess the question is, is this a good rule? Is it right to make Gray stop making his noise while he eats because it might lead another kid to not eat his lunch? Why not teach the other kid the consequences of not eating his lunch? It hasn't been a problem in any of Gray's other classes.

This reminds me of something I've heard over and over at church. We have the freedom to do a lot of things, but we have to be careful what we do so we don't lead someone else to sin (i.e. don't take an alcoholic to the bar). Does my two year-old's situation fall under that?

Am I over analyzing this?

The bottom line is I don't really want to make him stop, but I don't want him getting in trouble for it either. Do I pretend like nothing ever happened and ignore it? Do I tell the daycare "this is crap and we're not doing it." Do I try to stop the behavior? Do I try to get the school to change their position? Do I find out what the school is trying but really not try anything at home? I certainly don't want him getting "punished" for something he does naturally.

I don't know what to do. Tell me what you would do.

3 comments:

Dbrad said...

Isn't it hard to be a mom? I would meet, in person, with his teacher to discuss the issue. No teacher should send something like that in an email. It may be a situation where he is getting attention from a friend and doing it louder than at home. I am sure if you ask more questions you will get the answers you need. I know that Cole, our 3 yr old gets attention he over acts or over reacts. Maybe this is the case. Hey, you made it this long w/ no problems. Hang in there, and follow your heart. It will lead you in making the best choice for your precious boy! ~Dawn

Melissa Garcia said...

This is the part that got me: "We try to discourage that here as some friends will neglect eating in favor of making noise."
She is saying that other kids will not eat because they will want to make noise instead? He has been going to this daycare for a long while, right? It hasn't been a problem in the last year? I would be a little offended too. Kids do things. And, Gray has been doing this for a while so now he is going to wonder why he is getting in trouble for doing it. I heard him do it while eating goldfish crackers at a football game. It is really cute. :) I would definitely talk to her and tell her your point of view and try to figure out what the real issue is. Maybe SHE just doesn't like it. :-/

Wendy said...

Amber, I think that kids just do weird/cute things like make noises while they eat and like you said, they'll outgrow it. A teacher can discourage all they want, but if it is just him, oh well. I don't think this falls under the whole "leading someone else to sin" area. It's Gray being Gray and sometimes teachers have to really step back and look at the big picture (that is from experience).