Is a year (O.K., 9 months) and era? Probably not, but it feels like it. Nate played his last game on Coach Wells' Eagles on Saturday.
It was a playoff game and we were pretty sure it would be the last, so we did it up big. We met at the Wells' house before the game. We had donuts decorated like footballs for breakfast (special order from Krispy Kreme). The boys, coaches, and a few moms colored their hair with red and blue spray. Yes, I gave into the peer pressure and did a little. We decorated our cars with shoe polish and drove to the game together. It was fun for the boys. I'll put pictures up when I get them from the other parents.
The team played very well on Saturday. I would say it was the best game against the Wild Dawgz yet. The final score was 13 to 8. It was an exciting defensive battle. Nate had one run and played center some. Something happened during the game and Nate cried profusely and wouldn't play. After the game he finally told us that he accidentally hurt (stepped on, I think) another boy on the team and was afraid he was going to get in trouble.
While I'm glad practices are over and I can go to the farmers market on Saturday morning, we are really going to miss being on that team. The coaches were terrific, the boys played hard, and all of the parents made it feel like family.
Most of the boys will be moving up to Division 1 (first grade) next year, while Nate and two others will probably play in the Eagle division again since they will be in Kindergarten this fall (Don't get confused, the team is the Eagles and the Pre-K and K league is the Eagle Division).
I know we'll see most of the people very regularly (neighborhood, grocery store, elementary school, football fields), but it just feels like its going to be different since Nate won't be on the team.
Kenny is working on keeping the younger boys together and keeping the "Eagles" name for the team. He's recruited a kindergartner from church to join the team, too. Right now he has to get through his head coaching interview. I hope we get another team of enthusiastic, involved parents and can make the new team feel like family, especially since we'll move up with them until Nate is in the sixth grade.
❤️👨👩👦👦
6 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment