Monday, September 15, 2008

Eagles vs. Cheetahs

First, to all of our friends and family affected by Hurricane Ike, you were in our thoughts and prayers when it hit. Since we haven't heard to the contrary we assume everyone came through safe and with minimum damage. We hope y'all get your electricity back soon. We'll make room if anyone needs a place to stay. I can safely make that offer because you don't have electricity to get on the computer and check my blog. :)

How did we live before 24 hr news networks? Kenny and I were glued to the TV Friday night. And is it really necessary for Geraldo to take the abuse from the hurricane? If it means keeping someone safe I can do without watching live footage of the storm coming in.

Thanks to the rain, I got to spend most of Nate's most recent football game in the car with Gray. Don't get me wrong, I love every minute I spend with Gray, but I would have loved it more if I was with him and watching Nate's game.

Since I didn't get to watch much of the game I asked Kenny to write this weeks football column. I've had to do some serious editing, so I hope I didn't miss anything.

*****************

Nate had his 2nd football game this past Saturday. They took on both Hurricane Ike and the Cheetahs. Unfortunately, the Eagles did not come out on top.

Nate played pretty well given the conditions. He started on offense again, but mostly blocked the first couple of series. The Eagles got a safety and scored on their next series to take an 8 to 0 lead. But the Cheetahs were able to score on their next two possessions to take a 16 to 8 lead going into halftime.

Nate started on defense in the second half and make some good plays even though he didn't record a tackle. The Cheetahs were a pretty big team and had a couple of pretty fast kids. They were shorthanded so they were able to get through their runners pretty quickly so their fast guys could keep running. (every kid has to "touch" the ball before the same kid can touch it again)

Unfortunately, the one time Nate got to run he was tackled for a safety. He tried to turn it up the field but one of his teammates got confused and tried to pull his flag. While trying to avoid the other boy, Nate went into the end zone and was then tackled by a Cheetah.

We had the same ref we had last week and he was pretty lousy. The Cheetahs were continuously coming over the line to early on both offense and defense and he wouldn't call it. One time their QB said 'hut' and the center didn't snap the ball and two guys took off to block Nate. They ended up getting 30 yards on the play. Nate's coach was pretty steamed and let the ref hear about it. Then on the next play he finally calls offsides. Unfortunately, we tackled the running back 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage so we had to decline the penalty. He also missed a safety call against them on a play they ended up scoring on.

The Eagles played hard he whole game but ended up losing 19 to 32. Nate doesn't like to lose. He was pretty upset after the game. We explained to him that losing was part of the game and that sometimes you play against a better team. As you can imagine that went over well.

**********

In news outside of football, Nate is doing very well in Kindergarten. He's starting to read. He brings home reader books that he has memorized slightly incorrectly and "reads" them to us. Then he gets mad if we tell him he's not reading it right and ask him to look at the words more closely. He's also started working on punctuation. He pointed out an explication, yes ex-pli-ca-tion, mark to us the other night.

Gray is doing great and is growing like crazy. I think he's getting chubby, at least until we get somewhere and see a baby that really is chubby. He's eating pretty much everything in the stage 1 baby food and I'm thinking about moving him up to stage 2 next week.

I guess that's it for now. Have a great week.

0 comments: