Thursday, January 22, 2009

How many times?

How many times can a child break his glasses? At the rate we're going with Gray, I'm going to say 24 times before he gets a new pair.

I walked into his classroom yesterday to pick him up. He's hanging out on the floor without his glasses. His teacher begins apologizing profusely because his glasses are broken, again, and that she knew we had just gotten them adjusted. I tell her its no big deal and that we'll get them fixed. I know its not easy to take care of those things. She gets the glasses from the cubby and the cable earpiece on one side is completely off.

I remember that the tech we always see at the eye glasses place has saved his old pair in case we needed parts. Kenny and I discuss which ear piece he broke last time. We think it was the opposite one.

Then Kenny and I decide there must be something wrong with the design of the ear piece. The glasses are designed for babies. Gray is strong, but he isn't Super Baby. Maybe he should be a glasses tester.

I drop Kenny and Nate of at Gymnastics and head to the eye doctor to get them fixed. Darla, our favorite tech, looks at them. We decide that Gray is a good baby because he did break the other side last time. Darla can easily repair them with a piece from the last pair in a few minutes.

Then I ask the question that was really starting to worry me. "At what point do we have to start paying to replace the glasses?" Luckily the glasses come with a 1 year replacement warranty, so insurance will pay for a new pair when the warranty runs out for this pair runs out. Whew. I really need to share that with his teachers so they'll stop worrying when he breaks them.

Darla has ordered him another set of the frames to keep in case of emergencies, but they're on back order. I had to tell Gray that he cannot break the ear pieces again until after January 30th. :)

As a side note, if you live near the Allen area and need glasses or eye care, our family highly recommends Allen Eye Associates. We are constantly in there with the kids and they always seem so happy to see us (our kids are pretty cute). I've seen both of the doctors and like them a lot. The staff is always friendly and helpful. We love them. :)

0 comments: