Thursday, September 3, 2009

Barn-icles 9/3/2009

I feel like I've been neglecting my blogging duties. Almost everyday there is something I want to blog about, but there are a lot of days that I just can't find the time.

Gray had a pulmonologist appointment on Tuesday. We were hoping we would get to cut back on nebulizer treatments. Unfortunately the doctor is not letting anyone cut back because of cold and flu season. He stressed the importance of our whole family getting the regular flu vaccine as well as the H1N1 vaccine. They had seen 5 cases of in on Friday, Monday and Tuesday.

We came home with some extra medicine too. The doctor noticed a little blockage in one of Gray's tubes so he suggested a round of ear drops to clear it out. Gray also had a runny nose, so we started Nasonex in case seasonal allergies are making it worse. Add that to the nebulizer treatments, Prevacid, and Nate's medicines and I feel like a part time nurse.

Otherwise the check up went well. He seems to be perfectly healthy right now. He was 31 inches tall (25th percentile) and weighed 23 pounds (between the 10th and 25th percentiles). His height has tapered off a little, but his weight is moving up the chart which makes us happy. If you don't remember, he was only in the 5th percentile for weight back in April.

Keeping with the medical theme, the boys had dentist appointments this morning. Nate did excellent for his x-rays and cleaning. He has no problems. Gray's teeth just got a quick look over. He'll have x-rays and a cleaning on his next visit in March (when he'll be almost 2!!!)

Slowly, but surely, Nate is sharing details of his Kindergarten day. He plays with a boy named Samuel. They start the day with calendar time and take a bathroom break at 9:00. If you have good behavior you get to sit in a "green chair" for reading time. They have journals that they write words in and draw pictures.

Nate drew a cemetery in his journal yesterday. When you add that to the "bury me with..." statements I've been hearing lately, I'm starting to get a little concerned. The port-a-potty phase seems to have passed, so hopefully this will too.

He hasn't gotten in trouble so far at school this week. Hopefully he'll keep it up. Granny Debbie gave him money for a toy, but put a condition on it that he got $1 a day towards his toy for being good at school. Today he will earn the last dollar needed to pay for his toy. I'm hoping he maintains his motivation for being good after he gets the toy.

Nate got his first football injury Sunday night. He was playing catch with Kenny and apparently jammed his finger. It had been swollen and sore for a couple of days, but seems to be getting better. It was the ring finger this time, so he hasn't been going around flipping people off and saying "look at my broken finger."

Gray is learning more words, unfortunately I usually can't tell what they are. He makes the same sounds over and over, and he is very deliberate with them. One day we'll get it figured out. He loves music and singing. He does say all done, up, down, outside, dog, Nate, Dada, and occasionally Mama. We think he says sock too, but I'm not sure why he learned that word. He tries to sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, but you can't understand his words. If a song with a beat comes on the radio he loves to dance.

I think that brings you up to date on the Barnes household. I'll try to take some pictures and get them posted over the weekend.

0 comments: