Thursday, September 24, 2009

Barn-icles 9/24/09

I've been falling down on my blogging job again. You would think that all the rain we've had would have given me ample time to blog, but nothing to blog about. You would be wrong. I'm sorry, but this is going to be long.

A week plus of rainy days is bad when you have two little boys that need outside time. Nate didn't have football games or practice for two weeks. I usually don't complain about the rain. We needed it and there are others who need it more than us, but after so many days of it I am so glad it is gone.

Nate has been doing much better at school. He got moved to the table next to the teacher and I think that is helping a lot. He has been on white (the best color) for 12 days in a row.

Nate has been referred to the Section 504 program at school. It's a program that lets kids have classroom modifications to help them overcome a disability. At his last ophthalmologist appointment his vision was testing 20/60. The school nurse said she tested him at 20/50, but that is as high as her chart went. We went to the local optometrist and his vision tested 20/80 with his glasses. The best the doctor to get him to was 20/70. His vision should be low enough that we can get some classroom aides (printed copies of what will be projected, etc) to help him learn. We'll meet with his teacher in a week or two to decide exactly what aides he will get.

On a side note, the decreased vision means we're probably getting closer to cataract surgery. I'm not quite ready for that.

Nate has been working on some sight words for school. It was really frustrating to him on the first night. I might have overwhelmed him because we started with numbers one through 10, colors, and 6 - 8 other sight words. Since then he has been doing great and he got all of them on the first try tonight.

Gray is doing good and keeping us on our toes. His nick names are Curly, Sneaky, and Speedy. He can get up the stairs before you realize he is gone. He really enjoys taking things out of boxes, especially diapers.

Don't you like his mis-matched pajamas?

He's doing well sleeping in his toddler bed. He still cries a little at bed time, but he did that in the crib too.


Last Friday, when the sun finally came out some, we headed to the Plano Balloon Festival. This was my third trip and my streak continues. The balloons did not launch.

We went with our good friends the Lawhons. Nate and Ashleigh had fun taking pictures with the different mascots.



The Fire Hydrant from the Fire Department

The State Farm Bear


Nate and Ashleigh collected goodies at the State Farm Booth (reusable grocery bag, chip clips, magnets, you know the stuff)


Ashleigh enjoyed the inflatable slide.

Nate, Ashleigh, and Ellie showing off their glow necklaces. The serious faces are cracking me up. Don't they look like and old-timey photo? I should make that black and white.

The balloons didn't launch, but they did blow them up for the festival goers to see. Here are a couple of pictures

Gray took his 18 month pictures on Saturday. I'll put up another post with a few of the highlights from that. He and I enjoyed going out with Debbie (a photographer I've known since high school) and she got some adorable shots.

We also got to welcome a college friend back from Iraq on Saturday. We've had three friends come back safely in the last month or so. We are so thankful that God kept them safe and that they were helping to keep us safe.

We did get back into the swing of things this week since the sun has been out. Nate had football practice on Tuesday. It was a little chilly (and we are loving it). I wish I had taken the camera and gotten a picture of him in his winter gear (leggings and long sleeve shirt).

I signed up to be the room mother for Nate's class and had a meeting about that tonight. I think I might be in over my head. I hope there are some other helpful parents in his class, because I just can't do it all. I get to be in charge of Thanksgiving Feast, Winter Party, Valentines Party, teacher appreciation week, and the class booth at the end of school carnival. My head starts spinning just thinking about it.

I have one last picture to share. I has nothing to do with anything, but I think its just adorable.


0 comments: