Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Hello again...

It's been a long time and I'm sorry. I could give you a long list of reasons I haven't had time to blog but I won't bore you with it. Every time I think about posting I go read Confessions of a Pioneer Woman instead. I tell myself its for inspiration, but I know its really just because its easier to read her blog than to write mine (and maybe a little because I would like to be her for a day or two). I know at least one person reads this (Thanks Lauren!) so I'll try to keep up with it better in the future. If it makes you feel any better, this isn't the only thing I've been neglecting (house work, house plants, Christmas shopping).



Gray had his second surgery on the Monday before Thanksgiving. Dr. Holz examined the right eye while Gray was under anesthesia and said it was looking very good. The surgery in the left eye went very well and we don't expect anything out of the ordinary for that.



Again, the difference was amazing when the patch was removed. Gray was almost immediately able to start picking up small things (as long as they were in contrast with whatever they were sitting on). I don't know if the improved vision has anything to do with this, but he is also becoming increasingly mobile. He's getting crawling down and I expect him to start pulling up soon.



We went to Grandma Hutchins after Gray's appointment on Tuesday and stayed until Friday to celebrate Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful dinner at Aunt Pam and Uncle Dickey's house. Its a little crazy with all of the kids now, but mostly its wonderful. We all have so much to be thankful for.



I had a long post planned for Thanksgiving, but of course I didn't get it written. Tops on the list of what I'm most thankful for are:

  • My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and His word that assures me that God works good through all things.
  • Our family and friends who love us, help us, support us, and keep us in their prayers (and show up at 11:30 at night when we have car trouble and get us food when we're at the hospital).
  • Doctors and medical advances that save lives and make lives better.
  • Jobs that are flexible enough to allow Kenny and I to put our family first.
  • Really good insurance (I totaled Gray's medical bills and almost needed to go to the hospital myself).

Needless to say, our family is very blessed.

Nate is doing well and is getting geared up for basketball. He had his evaluation to help the league decide which team he will go on. He did very well and made two baskets. Basketball season is going to be very interesting. He also moved up a level in Gymnastics because he turned 5. Oh yeah, I haven't blogged about his birthday! (Man its been a long time).

Nate turned 5 on November 19th. I can't believe he's already 5. He had his party at the bowling alley. I think we overdid it. There were 25 kids there (and he wanted to invite more). Just before the party he was playing with his cousins and he fell off of his swing set. He ended up with a busted lip. It didn't look near as bad on Sunday as it did on Monday when I sent him to school


He's still opening toys from party. I'm not sure what we're going to get him for Christmas now.

Kenny and I have been staying very busy at work. Our first major program release is coming up soon and we have to have everything wrapped up by the end of the week. I'm also busy trying to get our software approved for electronic filing for 2008 tax returns. Sounds exciting, doesn't it.

Nate and I have been busy trying to get the house decorated for Christmas. Notice I said trying. We got the tree up and decorated last week. Then it fell down and I had to re-do it. That's about the extent of our decorating so far. Nate is getting upset because he wants the lights up outside. I had that on my list to do over the weekend, but Nate's busy social life kept me from it.

Kenny, Gray and I went back to Houston yesterday. Usually, the more often you drive some place the shorter the trip seems. Unfortunately that isn't happening with Houston. The drive seems longer every time. And I wonder how we can get so much road construction done up here (the High 5 and Highway 121) and they can't seem to get any accomplished in Houston. I think they were working on the same stuff before I moved to Lovelady in the third grade.

Gray had an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist and it went well. We got his prescription for glasses. Dr. Yen said it wasn't that bad, but its definitely the worst in the family. My prescription is a 6.5. I think Nate's is a 6.5 and and 8.5 (he's under corrected and should have an 8.5 and 1o.5). Gray's is an 11 and 13. She said some kids have 20s. She said his near sightedness helps keep his prescription lower. Enough of that mumbo-jumbo because I don't really know what it means.

The optometrist ordered a set of frames for him and they're in today. Hopefully they'll fit and we can get his glasses before we take a family picture. I'm also trying to wait to take a Christmas card picture until he gets his glasses.

Nate is getting ready for the church Christmas program. Its on Sunday if anyone wants to come see him in it. Its not a play like I got to do when I was a kid, but he will be singing and reciting a poem with the other kids his age. I'm excited that he's finally old enough to participate.

I think this post is long enough and hopefully gets everyone caught up on our life. I'll try to get some new pictures out soon (don't I always say that).

0 comments: