Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Break

So I've taken a little break from blogging. It wasn't purposeful, i just didn't have time or lost motivation or something. Anyway, I'll try to do better. But we're busy, so all I can do is try.

But the break I'm talking about in the title isn't my break from blogging. It's Spring Break! And we had a great week split between Galveston and Houston.

We started off with a little beach time.

It was chilly, but of course Nate wanted to put his feet in the water.

Gray isn't much of a beach fan. He didn't want to move off of the beach mats. But he did want to build a sand castle.

Nate tried to build a moat in the sand. I recall doing that at my grandparents bay house. I was running back and forth between the moat and the water faucet, running by the back of the boat each time. I got a little close and ended up in the emergency room for stitches on my cheek. I still have the scar.


We ran into one of Nate's teammates at the beach.


They had a ton of fun.


Granny Debbie came to visit us. We went on a dolphin tour.


We only saw a few dolphins, but we had a great time.

We also went to SeaWolf Park. I always saw it from the ferry when I was a kid and wanted to go. This is Nate by some of the engines in the USS Cavalla, a WWII submarine.

Group pic in front of the sub.

We also toured the USS Stewart, a destroyer escort. Gray found some "drums." I was concerned about the lack of barriers around the top and the steep staircases. Gray and I didn't finish looking at the USS Stewart.


We found the playground instead.



We went back to the beach to test out the metal detector that Nate got for Christmas.



Nate found some "treasure." Oddly, I don't know what happened to all the $1 gold coins that we got in change from a parking meter.



Gray played with some bubbles.



Daddy showed his Eagle spirit.



Nate noticed these bicycle surreys last year. We told him we could rent one on a nice day. My family did it once when Jake and I were kids. Now I know why we never did it again.


We drove it to McDonald's, had a quick snack, then took it back to the rental shop.

We also visited the Houston Zoo, but I forgot my camera. There were lots of animals, but even more people. Somehow I did manage to find a good friend from high school (actually she spotted Kenny). It was nice to see an old friend.

Just like last year the boys had eye appointments. Everyone got a good check up. Nate's first cataract surgery is scheduled for June 9. They'll remove the lens from the left eye first. A few weeks later they'll follow up with the right. I know there is some stuff that he's going to miss this summer, but I also can't wait for him to be able to see clearly.

0 comments: